While working for a large ATE company we had to get a customer to signoff on a 'high speed data link'. 12 bit parallel . Their spec for the port software and cable set / whole system - was to have xxx number of block transfers without having a "non detectable" error.
I got it signed off after I got it installed and running for 2 weeks. It ran when requested and used on three shifts. I asked them to to sign or show me the 'non detectable error' and there was an IT guy that signed it off. The test guys were still wondering what they were thinking of when writing the spec.
A green LED shining orange (just an error in the decimal point - 0.2 instead of 0.02 A). The effect was repeatable with this LED but not reproducible with others: they tended to emit a short flash of light when the bond wire blew.
All sorts of LETs (LE-Transistor - glowing @ 20 Amps) and SERs (Smoke Emitting Resistors).
Once we even managed to 'beam' a resistor. It vanished in a fireball the size of a cherry. Puzzling: never found out where it rematerialized :)
Hello, as an intern 35 years ago when LEDs where quite new, we managed to get multiple RED LEDs to emit yellow light. The trick was to drive them with a programmable power supply set for 12V and 2.5A short circuit current. (Some experimenting with exact values needed and each batch of LEDs were slightly different.)
The record was one LED than literally burned for 3 weeks. One problem was that powering off disabled forever the short that glowed in the dark.
And yes, the LED did make a loud noise - once - when subjected to this treatment. Two inventions in one;, NED and first generation incandescent light source.
In 1979, after we developed a way to use spare rows and columns of memory cells to replace defective cells in a DRAM, we needed a name for the technique. I favored Faulty Array Repair Technique, but for some reason, Bell Labs management would not approve that name!
Long ago, I worked on a product line that required a phasing cable to be calculated, cut and installed. The guys had a long formula of degrees/360, frequency, cable velocity constant, speed of light and conversion to inches they had to type into a hand calculator every time. I reduced it down for them to a single value*degrees or something like that. They called the value "Poole's Constant".
We always referred to added components as "dead bugs" as the leaded components were adhered to the board or another component with the top of the package toward the board, and resembled a deceased bug with its legs in the air. Luckily I was never involved on a design where the dead bugs needed their own bill of materials.
The first prototype hardware PCBs usually required 'barnacles' - little leaded components that get soldered onto the PCB to fix glitches and rectify design oversights, much as marine barnacles grow on the hulls of sea-going ships.
We had a separate Bill of Materials for the barnacles, so we naturally called this the "Barnacle Bill'...