@Zeeglen...been there...done very similar things. A great illustration of how the right tool can make a job much easier. And how car (and electronic equipment) manufacturers do their best to make life more difficult!
I suggest you teach your stepson the first rule of fixing stuff:
The first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time
The last 10% of the job takes the OTHER 90% of the time!
@david OOps! Sorry.. But I think we might have found abother use for my 90 degree torque shift phaser.
Referring to an earlier post on this thread how we had to find just the right hex socket/adater/ratchet to get at my stepson's water temperature sensor, he managed to remove it easily. While attempting to insert the new replacement he dropped it - it disappeared into the bowels of the engine, steering gear, rods and struts. After a fruitless search and driving the vehicle back and forth with heavy braking hoping to shake it loose, it still was gone forever.
Just before we started, my overly enthusiastic stepson, always the optimist, had pronounced that this job would take only 5 minutes, then he could replace the spark plugs. I chuckled silently to myself - there is NO 5 minute job when it comes to repairing your vehicle. My optimistic stepson was about to become an optimist with experience - aka a pessimist.
He had to purchase another $25 teperature sensor, this time he managed to install it without dropping it. On to the spark plugs! ---
Sideways V6- (why his mother and older sister had ever chosen this big ugly SUV piece of crap I'll never comprehend) - the rear 3 plugs are arranged so that one cannot get at them from the top, only from undernreath. Up on a lift in a dealership not a problem for the mechanic ($150 to change your plugs), but with with the vehicle up on axlestands in a driveway one has to maintain a partial sit-up for the duration of plug removal and installation. A real back killer unless you place a lot of pillows for back support.
This is where my around the corner torque 90 degree phaser might work - if we can maoeuver the socket onto a rear plug from above and drive the 90 degree shifter with a ratchet we just might be able change the rear plugs ourselves and for much cheaper. Will let you know in a few days if this works; my mechanical 90 degree phaser is at work and will get it Monday.
@Zeeglen - you're getting aherad of me here.....as stated in the article, I'll be doing another one on making holes in things and this is one type of tool I was going to include. Watch this space......
@David: Max and I are gnarled (def: knobbly, rough, and twisted, especially with age) - though Max may take issue with this - but that adjusting screw is knurled (def: having a rough surface that can be gripped).
In that case I qualify as being both gnarled and knurled! :-)
@ betajet I occasionally need a really-long-handled screwdriver to reach a difficult screw.
More than a few times a right-angled drill drive has got me out of a jam. This is a heavy-duty nylon casting with a pair of bevelled gears that transfer the drill torque around a corner. Just fit the bit into the 2nd chuck and drill the hole sideways.
@Zeeglen - I think there are a couple of square bits in the big set soemwhere. A couple of years ago I bought some packs of wood screws at a give-away price in a hardware store. When I got them home I found they were square drive and i did not (then) have any drivers for them. But imagine my joy when I found that each bag contained a driver bit. I only bought two bags - wish now I had bought more!
As we unveil EE Times’ 2015 Silicon 60 list, journalist & Silicon 60 researcher Peter Clarke hosts a conversation on startups in the electronics industry. Panelists Dan Armbrust (investment firm Silicon Catalyst), Andrew Kau (venture capital firm Walden International), and Stan Boland (successful serial entrepreneur, former CEO of Neul, Icera) join in the live debate.