Texas Instruments Inc. has introduced a haptic driver that makes it easy to add realistic tactile feedback effects to consumer and industrial products, such as smartphones, tablets, ebooks, refrigerators, microwave ovens and washing machines.
The DRV2605 is the only eccentric rotating mass actuator (ERM) and linear resonant actuator (LRA) haptic driver pre-loaded with a library of 123 distinct haptic effects designed and licensed by Immersion, a developer and licensor of touch feedback technology. The DRV2605 also features a smart loop architecture that reduces startup and braking time by half, delivers twice the vibration strength, and consumes 50-percent less power to extend battery life, compared to competitive solutions, according to TI.
- Reduced system complexity: The pre-loaded Immersion haptic effects library offers a range of distinct and differentiated tactile effects for touch screen feedback, giving users a more satisfying and realistic experience.
- Audio-to-haptics mode: Automatically converts audio from music, movies or games into haptic effects. The audio mode adds a vibrating bass enhancement that allows users to feel and fully experience audio and video content.
- Smart loop architecture: Offers automatic overdriving and braking for ERMs and LRAs, which simplifies software programming and reduces startup and braking time by 50 percent. Automatic resonance tracking for the LRA delivers twice the vibration force at half the power of competitive solutions. In addition, the automatic actuator diagnostics and level tracking feature delivers consistent acceleration over a range of environmental conditions.
- Smallest solution size: At 1.5-mm by 1.5-mm, the DRV2605 offers designers the industry’s smallest package for space-constrained portable applications.
- Complete touch solution: The DRV2605 combines with any member of TI’s touch screen controller family to create a complete touch screen solution.
Availability and pricing
The DRV2605 is available today in a 9-ball, 1.5-mm by 1.5-mm by 0.6-mm WCSP package for a suggested retail price of US$1.60 in 1,000-unit quantities. The DRV2604 is also available for a suggested retail price of US$1.15 in 1,000-unit quantities.