REGISTER | LOGIN
Breaking News
Comments
Newest First | Oldest First | Threaded View
<<   <   Page 5 / 5
tom-ii
User Rank
Author
...And this is the crux of "Systems Engineering"
tom-ii   12/23/2014 8:34:51 AM
NO RATINGS
Total cost of a system (including rework and repair) over its life is determined by the choices you make at the very beginning of the design.

 

The idea is to very carefully consider the design choices before going forward, understand the requirements, ensure all these things are really what you want to have, and then take *very* careful aim at your foot before pulling the trigger.

 

(I'm a systems engineer these days)

Crusty1
User Rank
Author
Re: gotchas....
Crusty1   12/23/2014 3:38:42 AM
NO RATINGS
Max, I think at least 10 very tighly packed equipment housing that I have produced over the years have suffered from a very drastic gotcha.

How to get the magic inducing agent in the box.

I seem never to learn but I build the electronics to fit the box and test with a bench power supply and then find I have forgotten to allow any space to mount a power supply in the box or even leave enough space for a power connector to the box.

It seems to be the ultimate peril for Crusty

seaEE
User Rank
Author
A million lights
seaEE   12/23/2014 12:34:20 AM
NO RATINGS
Looking forward to the completion of this project and I know that the first test song, the "Beta Song", will be Xanadu.  "A million lights [apropos] are dancing and there you are, a shooting star".  :)

mithrandir
User Rank
Author
That looks really cool
mithrandir   12/22/2014 10:41:21 PM
NO RATINGS
I love the 'ye olde' cabinet look!

Do you have any plans for the LED colours? A more mellow colour palette would fit well with the brass finishing but I'm not that good with colour combinations to make suggestions :P   

 

chipchap42
User Rank
Author
Shakespearean efforts
chipchap42   12/22/2014 8:28:06 PM
NO RATINGS
Max,

that's a brilliant story - positively Shakespearean in fact (as in a Comedy of Errors). And I can feel myself and a lot of others who read this wincing at the familiarity of it...

But the end result looks spectacular and I can't wait to see the fruits of your labours after Christmas - go and have a pint or two of mead and let us know the results!

 

Cheers,

Paul.

Duane Benson
User Rank
Author
King Midas
Duane Benson   12/22/2014 6:06:35 PM
NO RATINGS
In terms of making mistakes, I've been known to say that I have the Midas touch - everything I touch turns into a muffler.

What about getting the router out again and routing 1/16" of material such that each channel is surrounded by a 1/16" deep channel? Then you could use the threaded thingamabobs instead of glue.

Max The Magnificent
User Rank
Author
Re: gotchas....
Max The Magnificent   12/22/2014 6:00:17 PM
NO RATINGS
@David: ...all you have done here is proved two fundamental laws...

It's just one more service I offer LOL

David Ashton
User Rank
Author
gotchas....
David Ashton   12/22/2014 5:53:23 PM
NO RATINGS
Max. all you have done here is proved two fundamental laws:

1. Anything that can do wrong, will go wrong (Sod's law or Murphy's law)

2. The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% of the job takes the OTHER 90% of the time (This one does not have a name, though I'd be pleased to call it Ashton's law....I just call it the 90% principle)

Aside from anything else, it's always pleasing to note that I am not the only one affected by these laws.... :-)

<<   <   Page 5 / 5


Most Recent Comments
rick merritt
 
Tim R Johnson
 
ewertz
 
antedeluvian
 
ewertz
 
perl_geek
 
R_Colin_Johnson
 
perl_geek
 
R_Colin_Johnson
Most Recent Messages
11/19/2017
3:31:42 PM
Like Us on Facebook
EE Life
Frankenstein's Fix, Teardowns, Sideshows, Design Contests, Reader Content & More
Martin Rowe

Test Tool Finds Ethernet Wiring Errors
Martin Rowe
Post a comment
When my house was renovated several years ago, I had the electrician install network outlets in numerous places, then run the LAN cables to a wiring closet. But he didn't document the ends ...

Martin Rowe

Local Electronics Store Supplies Engineers and Hobbyists
Martin Rowe
5 comments
Rochester, N.Y. — Tucked away in this western New York city known for its optics is Goldcrest Electronics, a local store that's supplied businesses and individuals with electronic ...

Martin Rowe

How to Transform a Technology University (Book Review)
Martin Rowe
1 Comment
The Presiding Genius of the Place by Alison Chisolm. WPI, Worcester, Mass., 234 pp., 2016. Engineers love to discuss, and often criticize, engineering education. They often claim ...

Max Maxfield

Aloha from EEWeb
Max Maxfield
Post a comment
Just a few minutes ago as I pen these words, I posted this blog about this month's Cartoon Punchline Competition over on EEWeb.com.